One of the biggest problems in New Zealand these days is driving under the influence or DUI. Many people in New Zealand are hurt or killed as a result of drunk drivers. In the past, people who have a DUI on their record have been given little more than a slap on the wrist. But in some states, that is changing thanks to something called an ignition interlock device or a car breathalyzer. Before you can start the car, it requires the person to blow into the device to test their blood alcohol level.
Advantages of a car breathalyzer device:
• Fewer drunk drivers – many states require installation after the first offence. It means it will make the driver think twice before having that drink.
• Safer roads – since a lot of the accidents on the road are related to drunk driving, there are going to be fewer accidents on the road and fewer deaths and injuries due to drunk drivers.
• Awareness and responsibility – the people who have prior DUI convictions think it is embarrassing by having to drive around with the device in the car and can be a testimony to other drivers.
Disadvantages of ignition interlock devices or car breathalyzer:
• Not foolproof – a driver can have a passenger blow into the device which tricks the car interlock into thinking that they are sober when they are not. Some drivers decide to do this even though it can get them into trouble if found out.
• Inconvenient for others – during a car service, they also need to use the device before they can start the engine making it very inconvenient. Whether the person needs the oil changed, their car towed, or an inspection the car needs to be started before doing those things.
Maybe due to the invention of the car breathalyzer, there are going to be a lot more sober people on the road and a lot fewer people whose are devastated because someone they know was injured or killed due to a drunk driver. Maybe one of these days, individuals are going to learn that driving drunk isn’t worth it. But until that happens, perhaps the inconvenience and the embarrassment caused by these devices will make people think twice about that last beer.
Is a beer worth paralyzing or killing someone?